Chelsea’s need for a new centre-forward is no nothing new.
Alvaro Morata, Gonzalo Higuain, Tammy Abraham and Timo Werner all failed to deliver for the club.
The same applies to Romelu Lukaku, who cost them a whopping £97.5 million transfer fee.
He endured a torrid spell in London before returning to Inter Milan on loan last summer.
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang impressed during his short stint at Barcelona, but his form dipped after returning to the Premier League in September last year.
The Gabon international scored just three goals in 21 appearances during the 2022-23 campaign.
Attacking midfielder Kai Havertz scored the most goals for Chelsea this season (9), but they need someone more reliable.
The Blues need to sign a top-quality striker during the summer transfer window – a Didier Drogba-like figure who consistently delivers goals and can become one of Chelsea’s all-time top scorers.
The 2021 Champions League winners have been linked with Napoli’s Victor Osimhen and Inter forward Lautaro Martinez.
Osimhen is regarded as one of the best young strikers in the world following his spectacular 2022-23 season, when he scored 31 goals in 39 appearances.
However, they face competition for the Nigerian, with Manchester United keen on signing him.
Martinez is another exciting option who is a proven goalscorer in the Serie A.
Both players would be expensive, but Chelsea must push the boat out to resolve their goalscoring issues.
- Crystal Palace ace Eberechi Eze facing six weeks on sidelines with hamstring injury
- Newcastle handed major injury setbacks ahead of PSG Champions League clash
- Valencia chief insists Javi Guerra not for sale amid Manchester United and Newcastle United interest
- Rangers considering Ryan Lowe for managerial vacancy following Michael Beale’s dismissal
- Jeremie Frimpong new Leverkusen contract could hand Celtic a massive windfall