Paris Saint-Germain will complete the signing of Marco Asensio later today on a free transfer, according to Relevo.
The 27-year-old leaves Real Madrid nine years after signing for the club in 2014. After two loans, he returned to the club in 2016 and had a successful career.
Asensio has scored 61 goals and assisted 32 in 285 appearances for Madrid while winning 16 trophies, including three Champions League and three league titles.
The Spain international has 12 bagged goals and eight assists for Los Blancos this season.
PSG have beaten Aston Villa to the signing of the Palma-born player. His addition to the squad will compensate for the loss of Lionel Messi.
They will likely be in the market for another option and are reportedly looking at Manchester City’s Bernardo Silva.
Another position PSG need to reinforce badly is the base of their midfield. Sporting CP’s Manuel Ugarte is their primary target.
Chelsea were leading the race for the Uruguayan midfield enforcer, but PSG stole a march yesterday and are close to announcing a deal.
Ugarte adds bite to the base of PSG’s midfield – something they have lacked in a while.
They signed Danilo Pereira from FC Porto, but he has failed to fill the gap. He has spent most of his time playing centre-back.
Ugarte is a physical and relentless midfielder who specialises in forcing opponents off the ball.
The 22-year-old breaks up attacks and keeps the ball moving with his simple and uncomplicated passing.
He is also a specialist at carrying the ball out from the midfield to join the attack. He uses this to take the ball up the pitch for his team and sometimes win fouls to relieve pressure.
PSG will push to sign Bayern Munich defender Lucas Hernandez after Ugarte. They believe they can convince him to leave the Bavarians.
- Pep Guardiola denies City’s reliance on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?