Chelsea spent £97.5 million to sign Romelu Lukaku in August 2021, making him one of the most expensive transfer signings in the club’s history.
The move didn’t work out, with the Belgian scoring only 15 goals in 44 appearances in the 2021-22 campaign. He was subsequently loaned to Inter Milan last summer.
Injury issues kept him sidelined during the season, but he hit an impressive run of form towards the end, scoring five goals in his last four Serie A games.
Lukaku has made it clear he wants to stay at Inter, but their financial troubles mean he may not have his wish fulfilled.
As per Fabrizio Romano, the Nerazzurri are yet to hold talks with Chelsea about signing Lukaku permanently.
Inter will reportedly contact the Premier League outfit after their Champions League final with Manchester City.
Lukaku may take a pay cut to extend his stay at San Siro, but Chelsea will want a transfer fee to allow him to leave.
Transfermarkt values him at €40m, a fee Inter will struggle to pay.
New manager Mauricio Pochettino is an admirer of the Belgian, but his previous comments about Chelsea could make it difficult for him to return to Stamford Bridge.
Lukaku could play for Tottenham Hotspur or Newcastle United next season, as they were linked with an interest in the 30-year-old in January.
The two Premier League clubs have the capability of meeting the Blues’ demands, but it remains to be seen whether they will revive their interest.
- Rangers considering Ryan Lowe for managerial vacancy following Michael Beale’s dismissal
- Jeremie Frimpong new Leverkusen contract could hand Celtic a massive windfall
- La Liga Weekly: Real Madrid thump Girona, Celta Vigo’s woes continue
- Ten Hag to drop Pellistri for midfielder | Expected Man Utd line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Galatasaray
- Double injury boost confirmed, Trossard starts | Expected Arsenal line-up (4-3-3) vs Lens