Connect with us


Liverpool want explanation for Cody Gakpo decision

With or without Jurgen Klopp on the touchline, there are always misunderstandings between Liverpool and match officials.

Klopp was serving a two-game ban last weekend after being punished for launching a touchline tirade against referee Paul Tierney against Tottenham Hotspur.

His team drew 1-1 with Aston Villa at Anfield, but the game was not without controversy.

After falling 1-0 behind in the first half, Liverpool went the attack after the break and thought they had netted an all-important equaliser in the 55th minute.

However, following a lengthy VAR consultation, referee John Brooks disallowed Cody Gakpo’s strike for an alleged offside in the build-up, deeming Ezri Konsa’s involvement in the action non-deliberate.

Left bamboozled by the decision to rule out the Dutchman’s goal, Liverpool have contacted Professional Game Match Officials Limited to seek clarification, according to The Times.

Brooks made a controversial call over Konsa’s desire to play the ball to Virgil van Dijk, which led to the goal, finding the Villa centre-back had no intention of getting involved in the action.

The referee’s decision did not go down well with the Reds, as they questioned his judgement, which eventually cost them a crucial three points, effectively crushing them out of the race for a top-four finish.

Liverpool’s protests don’t end here.

The Merseysiders brought up the issue with the PGMOL, simultaneously requesting additional details regarding the incident in the first half when Tyrone Mings accidentally struck Gakpo in the midriff with his boot.

Despite visual evidence displaying abrasions on Gakpo’s chest resulting from the tackle, the Villa defender was only shown a yellow card, although it could’ve easily been a red.

Another dramatic affair at Anfield halted Liverpool’s run of seven consecutive Premier League wins and significantly derailed their chances of leapfrogging Manchester United into fourth.

Erik ten Hag’s team eked out a 1-0 win at Bournemouth on Saturday and now need only one point in the last two rounds to mathematically seal a place in next season’s Champions League.

Given the potential consequence of another case of poor refereeing in the Premier League, Brooks should consider himself lucky for not having Klopp by the touchline last weekend.

More in Liverpool