Arsenal have reportedly joined Spanish giants Barcelona in the race to sign Manchester City star Ilkay Gundogan.
The 32-year-old joined City in 2016 from Borussia Dortmund for £20 million and has since become an important member of Pep Guardiola’s team.
The midfielder has made 301 senior appearances, bagging 58 goals and 40 assists.
Gundogan has been in brilliant form this season, making 13 goal contributions in 30 Premier League appearances.
However, his contract at the Etihad Stadium expires next month, having penned a four-year deal in 2019.
According to the Guardian, Arsenal are plotting a move for Gundogan who has also attracted interest from Barcelona.
Manager Mikel Arteta wants to reshape his midfield as the Gunners strive to win the Premier League title next season.
City are keen on handing the midfielder a new deal, but he wants a two-year contract to extend his stay in Manchester.
The Gunners will likely lose Granit Xhaka, who is reportedly close to joining Bayer Leverkusen.
They have been linked with West Ham United’s Declan Rice but would have to spend a record fee to secure his services.
Arsenal may also face strong competition from Manchester United who are also keen on him.
- Real Madrid announce mutual termination of Eden Hazard’s contract
- Harry Kane has done the business for Tottenham, but can Levy keep him?
- Declan Rice move would break Arsenal’s transfer record
- Five best Serie A defenders money can buy
- Guardiola insists Man City ‘will give everything’ to lift FA Cup trophy