Long-serving Bayern Munich stalwart Joshua Kimmich has no interest in leaving the Allianz Arena despite Barcelona’s growing interest in him.
According to Florian Plettenberg, the 28-year-old is negotiating a contract renewal with the Bavarians amid speculation linking him with a summer exit.
Kimmich’s current deal in Munich expires in 2025, but after cementing his place in the first team for almost seven years now, the German is reluctant to depart the club anytime soon.
With Manuel Neuer and Thomas Muller nearing the end of their respective careers, the ex-RB Leipzig academy graduate is the leading candidate to assume captaincy at Bayern.
As one of the most influential figures in the dressing room, Kimmich carries a household status at the Allianz Arena, something he’s seemingly unwilling to trade for the possibility of joining Barcelona.
Xavi Harnandez’s side were recently crowned La Liga champions for the first time since 2018/19, but another dismal Champions League campaign will likely warrant another busy summer.
Sergio Busquets’ imminent departure from Spotify Camp Nou amplifies the need for a new defensive midfielder capable of dictating the pace of the game with precision and purpose.
Following his impressive exploits at Bayern, Kimmich has emerged as a natural candidate to replace the ageing Spaniard, yet the parties are not on the same page.
Kimmich boasts a deep connection with the local fanbase and is undoubtedly a potential candidate for future captainship, with the Bavarians heading towards a summer rebuild.
After parting ways with Julian Nagelsmann in the second half of the season, the record-time Bundesliga champions are on the verge of relinquishing their ten-year reign of dominance in the domestic championship.
Saturday’s 3-1 home defeat to RB Leipzig could result in Bayern dropping to second ahead of the ultimate matchday if Borussia Dortmund live up to their tag as pre-match favourites at Augsburg on Sunday.
It’s uncertain how a potential loss in the title race could affect Thomas Tuchel’s future at the club, but it’s a near-certainty the Germans want to build a new generation around Kimmich.
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer
- League Cup preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Rasmus Hojlund to miss the Manchester derby in boost to City’s title chances
- Europa Conference League round of 16 draw: Ajax to face Aston Villa, Lille clash with Sturm Graz
- Europa League round of 16 draw: Liverpool land favourable tie, Brighton face Roma
- Preview: Arsenal vs Newcastle – stats, team news, line-ups
- Armando Broja’s Chelsea future in doubt as Fulham loan goes pear-shaped