Messi’s time at Barcelona ended in 2021, with the club unable to renew his contract while remaining within La Liga’s financial rules. That summer, he transferred to Paris Saint-Germain.
His time in the French capital has been relatively mixed. He has recorded 31 goals and 33 assists for Les Parisiens in all competitions, helping them win at least one Ligue 1 title.
However, there have also been several lows. He has been the target of booing from PSG ultras, and was recently suspended by the club following an unauthorised trip to Saudi Arabia.
That latest incident has reportedly damaged Messi’s relationship with PSG beyond repair, and he is now set to leave at the end of his contract this summer.
A switch to Barcelona would be the forward’s preferred move. He hopes to remain in Europe and obviously has a strong connection to La Blaugrana following 17 astonishing years with the club.
According to Catalan source Onze d’Esport3, a homecoming could be on the cards. The report states that La Liga president Javier Tebas has given the green light to Barcelona’s ‘Messi plan’, which involves raising over €100 million in player sales.
Despite having a relatively small squad, the club have plenty of sellable assets. Raphinha, Ferran Torres, Ansu Fati, Franck Kessie and Eric Garcia are believed to be nearing the exit door.
Loanees Samuel Umtiti, Clement Lenglet and Sergino Dest could also be sold.
Barcelona head into Sunday’s fixture against Espanyol knowing that a win will seal their first La Liga title since 2019.
They sit 13 points clear of second-placed Atletico Madrid with just five games remaining.
- Serie A Weekly: Derby d’Italia fails to live up the billing, Milan & Roma return to winning ways
- PSG 1-1 Newcastle: Late Mbappe penalty puts Magpies last-16 hopes in jeopardy
- Tottenham star Rodrigo Bentancur out for two months after latest injury setback
- Everton’s ten-point deduction puts Sean Dyche contract talks on hold
- The worst Premier League starts ever
- Gavi out for the rest of the season
- Celtic & Rangers top list of most expensive Champions League away days
- Jeremie Frimpong: Should Bayern or Man Utd take advantage of his €40m release clause?
- Tottenham join race for Man United target Jean-Clair Todibo
- Referee admitted penalty decision against Wolves was wrong, rages Gary O’Neil after Fulham defeat