West Ham United are interested in signing Marseille midfielder Matteo Guendouzi, reports The Athletic.
The Hammers are preparing for the potential exit of Declan Rice this summer, with the Frenchman identified as a replacement.
Guendouzi spent two seasons with Arsenal before leaving on loan for Bundesliga club Hertha BSC.
Their star midfielder Rice is out of contract in 2024, but there is an option of a further year in his deal.
However, the Hammers are expected to cash in on him as opposed to the risk of losing him for free.
Arsenal, Newcastle United and Manchester United are interested in signing the England international.
Guendouzi boasts a similar playing style and has established himself as a frequent squad member of the French national team.
The former Lorient star has played seven games for Les Bleus since making his debut in 2021, scoring once.
Besides his defensive abilities, Guendouzi is also a good passer and often does well in a box-to-box role.
He can also play on both wings and in an attacking midfield role through the middle of the park.
West Ham could do with his versatility, and the Frenchman may be interested in a move.
He still has plenty to prove in the Premier League after falling out with Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta.
The Hammers will look to make more squad changes this summer after their struggles this term.
They are a win away from sealing safety, having battled with relegation for most of the campaign.
Adding Guendouzi to their ranks would be a good move, but they are unlikely to be the only club interested in him.
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer
- League Cup preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Rasmus Hojlund to miss the Manchester derby in boost to City’s title chances
- Europa Conference League round of 16 draw: Ajax to face Aston Villa, Lille clash with Sturm Graz
- Europa League round of 16 draw: Liverpool land favourable tie, Brighton face Roma
- Preview: Arsenal vs Newcastle – stats, team news, line-ups
- Armando Broja’s Chelsea future in doubt as Fulham loan goes pear-shaped