Manchester United have doubts about renewing David De Gea’s contract as it enters the final months, according to Manchester Evening News.
The goalkeeper’s contract expires at the end of June, and there been talks about renewing it.
The Spaniard is willing to take a pay cut on his £375k-per-week salary and negotiations are in the final stage.
However, not everyone at the club wants to hand the 32-year-old a new deal.
De Gea conceded from a tame Said Benrahma shot as West Ham United defeated the Red Devils this weekend.
Benhrahma’s effort was barely a hit, with Man United defenders trying to stop the effort. The shot was tame enough to catch, but it eluded De Gea.
It is his fourth error leading to a goal this campaign. Since 2015, only Jordan Pickford has made more errors leading to a goal in the Premier League.
There are doubts about De Gea’s ball-playing ability. His short and long passing game needs work. He also struggles when required to sweep behind the defence.
However, United manager Erik ten Hag has backed De Gea, pointing to the 15 clean sheets he has kept in the league this season.
Despite Ten Hag’s backing, there are concerns within the club over his place in the starting XI.
United have looked at Dominik Livakovic and other potential targets including Leopold Wahlstedt.
United scout Tommy Moller Nielsen watched the Sweden international keep a clean sheet for Odds Bk against Rosenborg a few days ago.
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer
- League Cup preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Rasmus Hojlund to miss the Manchester derby in boost to City’s title chances
- Europa Conference League round of 16 draw: Ajax to face Aston Villa, Lille clash with Sturm Graz
- Europa League round of 16 draw: Liverpool land favourable tie, Brighton face Roma
- Preview: Arsenal vs Newcastle – stats, team news, line-ups
- Armando Broja’s Chelsea future in doubt as Fulham loan goes pear-shaped