Tottenham Hotspur are reportedly interested in Southampton midfielder James Ward-Prowse.
According to the Daily Mail, Spurs scouts watched the 28-year-old during the Saints’ 3-1 loss at Newcastle United on Sunday.
The Magpies are also keen on the England international who has been at the Hampshire club all his career.
Southampton are likely to get relegated to the Championship as they are six points off safety with just four games remaining this season.
If they suffer the drop, some of their top players will leave St Mary’s this summer.
Ward-Prowse is regarded as one of the club’s most prized assets. They turned down a £25 million bid for him from Aston Villa in 2021.
Although he is under contract until 2026, Southampton will likely have to sell him in the coming window.
The 28-year-old is one of the best players to have emerged from the Saints academy. He has consistently delivered performances and been a key member of the first team.
Since making his competitive debut in 2011, he has made over 400 senior appearances with 53 goals and 51 assists to his name.
The England international mainly plays as a central midfielder but has also been used as an attacking midfielder and right midfielder.
The highly experienced player offers an attacking threat, defensive solidity and creativity.
He is too good to be playing in the Championship, and that’s why a summer exit is very likely if Southampton go down to the second tier.
- Guardiola insists Man City ‘will give everything’ to lift FA Cup trophy
- Bordeaux vs Rodez Ligue 2 match abandoned: Fan-player altercation leaves striker Lucas Buades concussed
- Sergio Ramos set to leave PSG at the end of the season
- Chelsea plot a midfield revamp with Manuel Ugarte and Moises Caicedo
- Juventus eye Man Utd target Rasmus Hojlund to replace Dusan Vlahovic