Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric has met with club president Florentino Perez, and a verbal agreement has been reached over a new deal, reports Diario AS.
The Croatian’s contract at the Santiago Bernabeu is due to expire this summer, and he has repeatedly expressed his desire to continue with Los Merengues.
With Toni Kroos recently confirming his contract extension, there is optimism that Modric will follow suit.
Modric is set to turn down a mammoth offer worth around €50 million from an unnamed Saudi Arabian club in favour of penning an extension with Madrid.
At 37, the 2018 Ballon d’Or winner continues to be an integral part of Carlo Ancelotti’s side as well as maintaining his world-class level.
Modric has been instrumental in Madrid reaching the semi-finals of the Champions League and the Copa del Rey final.
Madrid also have to resolve the futures of Dani Ceballos and Marco Asensio, who both are out of contract this summer.
There is an offer on the table for Asensio, who the La Liga giants are willing to keep due to his importance to the squad.
The Spanish winger is willing to commit his future despite not being a regular starter but feels that the club’s offer is not up to the mark.
His compatriot Ceballos has revived his career under Ancelotti this season and is not considering an exit in the summer.
- Leeds United 2022/23 season review: Rollercoaster top flight stint ends in relegation heartbreak
- Leicester City 2022/23 season review: Ominous campaign ends in despair for Foxes
- Romelu Lukaku wants Inter Milan stay, can Chelsea get a fee for him?
- Three strikers to replace Karim Benzema at Real Madrid
- Newcastle set to open talks with Callum Wilson over new deal