Paris Saint-Germain star Lionel Messi is set to feature in Maxi Rodriguez’s farewell match on June 24.
The former Liverpool winger has also invited several other big names including Sergio Aguero, Marcelo Bielsa, Javier Zanetti, Juan Pablo Sorin, Lionel Scaloni and Gabriel Heinze.
The two teams Newell’s XI and Argentina XI will play at the Estadio Marcelo Bielsa.
Gerardo Tata Martino and Jose Pekerman will serve as managers for the game.
Who is Maxi Rodriguez?
Rodriguez is a former Argentine footballer who retired in 2021. He started his career at Newell’s Old Boys before moving to Spain in 2002 to play for Espanyol.
His impressive performances attracted the attention of Atletico Madrid who signed him in 2005.
After making over 150 senior appearances in Madrid, he joined Liverpool on a free transfer.
He spent only two seasons at Anfield, but he became a firm favourite among fans during a difficult period at the club.
He clocked up 73 senior appearances under three different managers, registering 17 goals.
The former attacking midfielder returned to South America in 2012, rejoining Newell’s Old Boys where he ultimately ended his career in 2021.
Rodriguez also has the distinction of representing his country in three World Cups.
He made 57 appearances for Argentina, with 16 goals to his name.
One of his most famous goals came against Mexico in the 2006 World Cup when his stunner helped La Albiceleste win 2-1 in the round of 16.
- Guardiola insists Man City ‘will give everything’ to lift FA Cup trophy
- Bordeaux vs Rodez Ligue 2 match abandoned: Fan-player altercation leaves striker Lucas Buades concussed
- Sergio Ramos set to leave PSG at the end of the season
- Chelsea plot a midfield revamp with Manuel Ugarte and Moises Caicedo
- Juventus eye Man Utd target Rasmus Hojlund to replace Dusan Vlahovic