Juventus have reportedly joined Inter Milan in the race to bring Barcelona outcast Franck Kessie back to Serie A this summer.
According to Spanish publication Diario Sport, the record-time Italian champions have identified the Ivory Coast international as a potential low-cost solution for their midfield shortcomings.
Paul Pogba’s blockbuster return to Turin last summer has done nothing to address the club’s problems in the engine room.
The Frenchman has experienced an injury-puzzled season, leaving the inexperienced youth academy products in Fabio Miretti, Nicolo Fagioli and Matias Soule to do the heavy lifting.
Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri is keen on adding another established midfielder to his ranks despite Adrien Rabiot’s return to form and Manuel Locatelli’s ever-growing impact.
Following an underwhelming season-long loan at the Allianz Stadium, Leandro Paredes will likely return to Paris Saint-Germain at the end of the season.
Allegri wants to fill the vacancy by luring Kessie back to Serie A, provided he remains at the helm beyond 2022/23 amid continuous speculation linking him with a summer exit.
Kessie made a name for himself during his five-year stint at AC Milan before parting the club as a free agent last summer to team up with runaway La Liga leaders Barcelona.
Despite moving to Spotify Camp Nou as one of the best-performing Serie A midfielders, the 26-year-old has flopped in Spain, making just one league start for Xavi Hernandez’s side this term.
With Barcelona planning a massive summer clear-out to balance the books and accommodate a heavily anticipated reunion with Lionel Messi, the Ivorian may have to take the bullet.
The Blaugrana will have to offload several fringe first-team stars to make room for the Argentine’s expected return to Catalunya, with Kessie among the first players to make the chopping block.
Juventus wouldn’t mind trying to reignite the midfielder’s career as long as they don’t have to splash out high figures to complete his signing, but Inter and Tottenham Hotspur are also in the mix.
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer
- League Cup preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Rasmus Hojlund to miss the Manchester derby in boost to City’s title chances
- Europa Conference League round of 16 draw: Ajax to face Aston Villa, Lille clash with Sturm Graz
- Europa League round of 16 draw: Liverpool land favourable tie, Brighton face Roma
- Preview: Arsenal vs Newcastle – stats, team news, line-ups
- Armando Broja’s Chelsea future in doubt as Fulham loan goes pear-shaped