It’s Monday again which means it’s time for ‘Morning Mix’ – our weekly football column with a bit of music thrown in for good measure.
We look at two talking points from the past seven days and point you in the direction of some of the best football stories elsewhere on the internet.
We also offer a top tune recommendation to get you in the mood for the next week and what to watch out for over the coming days. Let’s get this party started!
Foster save was THE moment of the season
For many fans, football starts and ends with the Premier League. However, you are really missing out if that sentence applies to you.
That last point was perfectly highlighted by Ben Foster’s last-minute penalty save – not bad going for a goalkeeper who was happily retired just a few weeks ago.
His comeback with Wrexham has been dismissed by some cynics as a publicity stunt. That is deeply disrespectful to one of football’s good guys.
Wrexham return would boost the EFL
If you’ve not been paying attention up to this point, the latest edition of the Morning Mix column is devoted entirely to Wrexham. And before anyone complains, they deserve it.
Since Hollywood stars Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney took over Wrexham in 2021, the club has attracted plenty of publicity. There’s also been plenty of barbs thrown in their direction.
Sure, they have used their wealth to fuel a resurgence in their fortunes. Given the club nearly disappeared, you’d have to have a heart of stone to begrudge what has happened.
If Wrexham get the points they need to secure promotion, don’t be bitter about it. The club, and their high-profile owners, will be an asset to the Football League.
The week that was
Are you looking for the best football stories from the past week? Check these out:
- Good news, Ryan Reynolds & Wrexham – the National League promotion system is set to be fixed.
- Wrexham: The little soccer team that became America’s big obsession.
- Ben Foster’s return to football at Wrexham is a scriptwriter’s dream.
Today’s top tune
If you’re going to wish ‘Happy Birthday’ to someone, you may as well do it in style!
What to watch this week
Wrexham host Yeovil Town and Boreham Wood this week. Two victories and they win promotion to League Two. Sounds easy, doesn’t it?
A final Morning Mix thought
Remember when Sheffield United’s Billy Sharp spat his dummy out about Wrexham on national television earlier this year?
He’s out of contract at the end of the season. If nothing else, Reynolds and McElhenney must make a phone call.
On another note, if Wrexham striker Paul Mullin hasn’t laid into Sharp in his new book, he’s missed a trick.
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer
- League Cup preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Rasmus Hojlund to miss the Manchester derby in boost to City’s title chances
- Europa Conference League round of 16 draw: Ajax to face Aston Villa, Lille clash with Sturm Graz
- Europa League round of 16 draw: Liverpool land favourable tie, Brighton face Roma
- Preview: Arsenal vs Newcastle – stats, team news, line-ups
- Armando Broja’s Chelsea future in doubt as Fulham loan goes pear-shaped