AC Milan midfielder Ismael Bennacer has praised coach Stefano Pioli’s tactical set-up as they beat Napoli 1-0 in the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final clash.
The Algerian international scored the only goal, smashing an effort beyond Alex Meret in the first half. Brahim Diaz did incredibly well to set him up.
When Napoli breached it, Mike Maignan denied them. The France international has been in superb form and was instrumental as the Rossoneri took a slender advantage.
Bennacer said the team did what the manager demanded but warned that the tie was not over.
After the game, Bennacer said to Amazon Prime Italia (via Football Italia): “We worked hard, did what the coach asked of us, and it worked.”
“There is still another match to be played. We have also got Bologna in three days and need to recover in the best way, do everything together.
“It was a good attitude. We have got to continue like this.”
The defeat is the second Milan have inflicted on Napoli in the space of ten days. The Serie A champions defeated Napoli 4-0 at the Diego Armando Maradona in their last clash.
For Napoli, there is the second leg to look forward to, but it is not looking good. Influential midfielder Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa picked up a red card following two bookings.
Defender Kim Min-Jae was also yellow-carded. Both men will miss the second leg in Naples.
Napoli are unsure about having star striker Victor Osimhen back for the game. The Nigerian international’s absence was notable today.
Giacomo Raspadori should be fully fit to start the next leg if Osimhen is still out. He started this one from the bench and came on in the second half.
- Serie A Weekly: Derby d’Italia fails to live up the billing, Milan & Roma return to winning ways
- PSG 1-1 Newcastle: Late Mbappe penalty puts Magpies last-16 hopes in jeopardy
- Tottenham star Rodrigo Bentancur out for two months after latest injury setback
- Everton’s ten-point deduction puts Sean Dyche contract talks on hold
- The worst Premier League starts ever
- Gavi out for the rest of the season
- Celtic & Rangers top list of most expensive Champions League away days
- Jeremie Frimpong: Should Bayern or Man Utd take advantage of his €40m release clause?
- Tottenham join race for Man United target Jean-Clair Todibo
- Referee admitted penalty decision against Wolves was wrong, rages Gary O’Neil after Fulham defeat