Midfielder Luka Modric has given an update on his Croatia future in the aftermath of his country’s victory over Morocco in the 2022 FIFA World Cup third-place match today.
Zlatko Dalic’s men headed into the contest looking to record a second consecutive podium finish at football’s biggest tournament having ended the 2018 edition as runners-up to France.
Stunning first-half goals from Josko Gvardiol and Mislav Orsic either side of Achraf Dari’s strike saw the Europeans fend off the challenge of their African counterparts in what turned out to be a thrilling encounter in Doha.
While a section of the Croatia faithful would have harboured the thought that today was the last time of seeing Modric on international duty, the 2018 Ballon d’Or winner has revealed his plans to continue.
“We will see – I need to go step by step. I’m enjoying the national team, I feel happy, and I still think I can perform on a high level.
“I want to continue at least until the Nations League and then after that, there will be more time to think about the Euros.
“But now it’s just going step by step and to go at least until Nations League, and after we will see.”
Even at the age of 37, Modric continues to perform at a high level and it is no surprise that he remains an important player for both club and country.
The Real Madrid man penned a contract extension with Los Blancos in June off the back of his wonderful displays en route to Champions League and La Liga glory last season.
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer
- League Cup preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Rasmus Hojlund to miss the Manchester derby in boost to City’s title chances
- Europa Conference League round of 16 draw: Ajax to face Aston Villa, Lille clash with Sturm Graz
- Europa League round of 16 draw: Liverpool land favourable tie, Brighton face Roma
- Preview: Arsenal vs Newcastle – stats, team news, line-ups
- Armando Broja’s Chelsea future in doubt as Fulham loan goes pear-shaped