Inter Milan are waiting in the wings for a chance to snatch Inigo Martinez from Barcelona’s clutches if the Spanish giants fail to finalise the defender’s transfer.
Inter are still searching for a replacement for the Paris Saint-Germain-bound Milan Skriniar, but their precarious financial situation means free agents are their top priority.
Martinez ticks that box, but the Spaniard has his heart set on a move to the Spotify Camp Nou when his contract with Athletic Bilbao expires at the end of the season.
However, there could still be a chance for Inter to get their man, with Barca restricted by La Liga, who insists the Blaugranas must lower their wage bill before making any foray into the transfer market.
Barca are currently handicapped, with Gavi, Ronald Araujo, Sergi Roberto and Marcos Alonso still to be registered due to the club’s enormous wage bill.
The Catalan giants may need to sell some of their stars this summer, with Ansu Fati, Raphinha and Frenkie De Jong attracting interest from the Premier League.
Despite Financial Fair Play restrictions, Barca continues to plan for summer reinforcements and have already reached an agreement with Martinez over a free transfer.
The soon-to-be Scudetto winners could scupper Inter’s plans as they look to bring in a defender as a precaution in case the highly coveted Kim Min-jae is prized away this summer.
The Korea international has been an unsung hero in the Partenopei’s Scudetto push and is attracting interest from Premier League giants Manchester United.
While he remains unperturbed by rumours linking him with a move to Old Trafford, Napoli could look to snap up Martinez in case an attractive offer is tabled for the 26-year-old.
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer
- League Cup preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Rasmus Hojlund to miss the Manchester derby in boost to City’s title chances
- Europa Conference League round of 16 draw: Ajax to face Aston Villa, Lille clash with Sturm Graz
- Europa League round of 16 draw: Liverpool land favourable tie, Brighton face Roma
- Preview: Arsenal vs Newcastle – stats, team news, line-ups
- Armando Broja’s Chelsea future in doubt as Fulham loan goes pear-shaped