Inter Milan have established contact with Boca Juniors striker Mateo Retegui, reports La Gazzetta dello Sport.
The Nerazzurri have spoken with the striker’s father, Carlos Retegui, to discuss a potential move in the future.
The 23-year-old recently grabbed the headlines for making it to Italy’s senior squad for the first time ever.
The call-up is a reward for his sensational loan spell at Argentine club Tigre, having racked up 29 goals in 51 appearances.
Tipped as the next big export from the Argentine Primera Division, Retegui has courted interest from Europe’s top clubs.
Among them are Inter, who have identified the former Argentine youth international as a top target for the summer.
The Nerazzurri executives are also said to be huge admirers of Retegui, who they believe will be a great addition to the club’s long-term future.
AC Milan are also monitoring Retegui, but Inter have the edge. They plan to use their own player Facundo Colidio – currently on loan at Tigre – as part of the deal. Interestingly, Colidio is a target for Boca Juniors.
Inter are in the market for attacking reinforcements, with the futures of Edin Dzeko and Romelu Lukaku up in the air.
Lukaku could return to Chelsea when his loan spell at the San Siro expires this summer. Dzeko’s contract is up at the end of the season, and there hasn’t been any agreement over an extension.
Lautaro Martinez has been the only bright spot in an otherwise insipid attack, with Joaquin Correa failing to live up to the mark.
It has prompted Inter to reinforce their attacking options. Liverpool’s Roberto Firmino and Marcus Thuram of Borussia Monchengladbach are also on the wishlist of the Nerazzurri.
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer
- League Cup preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Rasmus Hojlund to miss the Manchester derby in boost to City’s title chances
- Europa Conference League round of 16 draw: Ajax to face Aston Villa, Lille clash with Sturm Graz
- Europa League round of 16 draw: Liverpool land favourable tie, Brighton face Roma
- Preview: Arsenal vs Newcastle – stats, team news, line-ups
- Armando Broja’s Chelsea future in doubt as Fulham loan goes pear-shaped