The 24-year-old showed his leadership qualities at the 2022 World Cup. Videos emerged of him rallying his teammates.
Following Hugo Lloris’ retirement, France needed a new captain and Deschamps turned to Mbappe.
The former AS Monaco man is also the talisman for Les Bleus on the pitch, finishing as the top scorer at the World Cup with eight goals.
He also put himself just four short of the all-time World Cup scoring record of 16 goals held by Germany striker Miroslav Klose.
Since making his debut in 2017, no French player has had more goal contributions for the national team. He has netted 36 goals and assisted 16 in 66 games.
Mbappe already tied up a neat legacy at his first World Cup showing. He was part of the team that won the 2018 World Cup, winning the best young player award while netting four times.
He was a leader in the team. Against Argentina, there were videos of Deschamps telling the team to find the attacker when they were bereft of ideas with the ball.
At the club level, Mbappe also became assistant captain to Marquinhos, ousting French colleague Presnel Kimpembe. He has been wearing the armband in the absence of the Brazilian centre-back.
Mbappe’s captaincy is not the only change at the Clairefontaine academy resulting from Lloris’ retirement. Deschamps also made AC Milan’s Mike Maignan the first-choice goalkeeper.
Maignan, who recently returned from a long-term calf injury sustained during the September 2022 international break, will be between the sticks for their games against the Netherlands and Ireland this week.
Brice Samba (Lens) and Alphonse Areola (West Ham United) will back him up as second and third-choice.
- Tottenham to recall exiled star amid injury crisis
- Serie A Weekly: Derby d’Italia fails to live up the billing, Milan & Roma return to winning ways
- PSG 1-1 Newcastle: Late Mbappe penalty puts Magpies last-16 hopes in jeopardy
- Tottenham star Rodrigo Bentancur out for two months after latest injury setback
- Everton’s ten-point deduction puts Sean Dyche contract talks on hold
- The worst Premier League starts ever
- Gavi out for the rest of the season
- Celtic & Rangers top list of most expensive Champions League away days
- Jeremie Frimpong: Should Bayern or Man Utd take advantage of his €40m release clause?
- Tottenham join race for Man United target Jean-Clair Todibo