The race for the Champions League places in the Premier League is heating up.
Arsenal and Manchester City are virtually guaranteed to finish in the top two.
The league leaders are five points clear of Pep Guardiola’s side, while third-placed Manchester United are 11 points off Man City.
The Red Devils have a game in hand and will move closer to consolidating their Champions League berth with a win.
It leaves Tottenham Hotspur fighting for the last spot.
The north London club are fourth, with a slim lead over the two clubs breathing down their necks.
The Magpies are one point behind Spurs, while the Reds are six points behind.
Both teams have a game in hand, but Newcastle are a bigger threat to Tottenham’s top-four ambitions than Liverpool.
Eddie Howe’s side secured a 2-1 win over Nottingham Forest last night and further reduced the gap between them and Spurs.
It was their second league win in seven games, and it could spur them on ahead of the run-in.
Despite a slight dip in form during February, Newcastle appear to have picked up form again.
Liverpool do not play until after the international break, but it is hard to see them catching Newcastle.
They have struggled with consistency all season, and last weekend’s defeat to Bournemouth speaks volumes.
Liverpool are the only team that would stroll to a 7-0 win against Manchester United and fall to a side battling relegation.
Having been eliminated from the Champions League, Jurgen Klopp’s side will give their all to finish in the top four.
Newcastle and Liverpool still have to play against three of the teams ahead of them in the table.
However, the Magpies will fancy their chances against the other teams.
The same cannot be said of the Reds, and Tottenham should be more concerned about Newcastle.
They must win against Southampton today to keep their top-four chances alive.
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer
- League Cup preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Rasmus Hojlund to miss the Manchester derby in boost to City’s title chances
- Europa Conference League round of 16 draw: Ajax to face Aston Villa, Lille clash with Sturm Graz
- Europa League round of 16 draw: Liverpool land favourable tie, Brighton face Roma
- Preview: Arsenal vs Newcastle – stats, team news, line-ups
- Armando Broja’s Chelsea future in doubt as Fulham loan goes pear-shaped