The Catalan club tried to sign him last summer and in the January transfer window. But they could not seal a deal due to their finances and Athletic Bilbao’s demands.
However, Barcelona want to tie up the deal after agreeing terms with the player a while back.
The player’s entourage is worried about the club’s financial instability. The Catalans are in a dire situation, with their accounts in tatters after COVID-19 decimated their revenue.
They have had to pull several economic levers by selling their studios and museums to get funds to sign and register their players.
La Liga has not made it easy. The league president Javier Tebas wants to ensure that the club is not living above its means.
Martinez and his representatives are considering the Negreira case and its implications for Barcelona.
Prosecutors accuse Barcelona of paying €8.4 million to former vice-president of Spain’s referees’ committee, Jose Maria Enriquez Negreira, and his company in return for favourable refereeing decisions.
The case is now in court, and the club could face drastic sanctions that could spell danger.
If not for the case, Martinez would be a Barcelona player already. He is 31 and looking for a final adventure that will give him European football and the opportunity to win titles.
Martinez will likely replace Clement Lenglet and Samuel Umtiti at Barcelona. They left the club last summer, and Barcelona have been without a left-footed central defender since then,
Barcelona head coach Xavi Hernandez likes Martinez and is pushing the club to sign him.
- Everton ten-point deduction reduced to six
- Jurgen Klopp could win the quadruple this season and still not be Liverpool’s best-ever manager
- Chelsea & Man City target set to join Real Madrid in 2024 or 2025
- Cristiano Ronaldo makes obscene gesture at rival supporters chanting ‘Messi’
- Van Dijk leads Liverpool kids to League Cup glory
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer
- League Cup preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide