Bayern Munich defender Benjamin Pavard is in line for a new contract following an upturn in his recent performances, according to German outlet Abendzeitung.
The French defender had previously gone public with his desire to leave the Allianz Arena. But since his change of heart, there has been significant improvement in his displays, including a brace in Saturday’s 5-3 victory over Augsburg.
The 26-year-old joined the German champions from VfB Stuttgart in 2019, and both parties are now willing to continue their association beyond 2024.
Bayern manager Julian Nagelsmann was full of praise for the 26-year-old following his goalscoring exploits last time out.
“I think Hasan [Salihamidzic] can see for himself that Benji [Pavard] is performing well, that he always wants to win – now he’s scored goals, too,” Nagelsmann said after the game.
“He also played very well in the Champions League in Paris. And I know that he feels extremely comfortable with the coaching team, that he feels in good hands there.”
Bayern sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic also hinted at a possible new contract for the high-flying Frenchman.
“He comes to training every day with a smile,” he said. “He’s happy – he is in a good mood, and in good shape. We’ll see about everything else.”
Pavard’s versatility gives Nagelsmann several options. Although he is naturally a centre-back, he is also adept at playing in the right-back position.
Speculation over the versatile France international’s future was not helped by Joao Cancelo’s January arrival.
However, it now seems Cancelo’s long-term future may not lie at the Allianz Arena, with the Manchester City-owned defender falling behind both Pavard and Josip Stanisic in the pecking order.
Pavard has made 31 appearances across all competitions for Bayern this season, scoring six and assisting once.
A new deal will be well deserved for the defender who looks to have recaptured his excellent form.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has ‘no time for regrets’ following his Manchester United exit
- Barcelona ace Pedri to miss Copa del Rey semi-final second leg, Dembele a doubt
- Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain set to leave Liverpool as a free agent this summer
- Besiktas boss claims former Tottenham man Dele Alli has gone AWOL
- Liverpool challenge reduced ticket allocation ahead of Man City game at Etihad