Bayern Munich defender Lucas Hernandez has left the door open to a switch back to Atletico Madrid in the future.
Hernandez came through the ranks with Los Colchoneros where he spent 12 years before completing a club-record €80 million move to Bayern in 2019.
Since then, the Frenchman has gone on to win every available trophy in his time at the Allianz Arena while also racking up over a century of appearances across all competitions.
However, Hernandez still has fond memories of his Atleti days and has refused to rule out a return to the Metropolitano Stadium should the opportunity arise.
“The truth is that Atleti, as I have always said, is the club that has given me everything,” Hernandez told El Partidazo de la Cope (h/t Get Spanish Football News).
“You know that I have always been fond of the club and the truth is that since I have left I have always wished them the best and why not someday – if there is the opportunity to return, why not?
“It’s the club that in the end has given me everything – the fact that I am at Bayern is partly because of Atlético Madrid.
“They confided in me since I was a kid and they were the ones who gave me everything until I left.”
With his current deal set to expire in 2024, Bayern have already kicked off negotiations with the 26-year-old over a contract extension as the Bavarians look to tie down a key member of their defensive set-up.
Despite the summer arrival of Matthijs de Ligt from Juventus, Hernandez has remained a regular member of Julian Nagelsmann’s XI this term.
He made eight starts before picking up a groin injury which has seen him miss eight matches in a row since September 17.