Eden Hazard wants to see out his Real Madrid contract against the club’s will, reports The Athletic.
The former Belgian international attacker joined Los Blancos from Chelsea in 2019 on a five-year deal.
However, injuries and subsequent dip in form have limited Hazard’s impact and chances at Madrid.
The La Liga club have been trying to sell the 32-year-old since 2021.
He is their club-record signing and highest-paid player, and, understandably, they want him gone.
However, Hazard has no plans of leaving Madrid until his contract ends in 2024.
His family is settled in Spain and he has not been approached by any club.
The former Chelsea star last played for Carlo Ancelotti’s side in January in a Copa del Rey game against fourth-tier club Cacereno.
He has played three La Liga games and three Champions League games this term.
Hazard has been fully fit, but his last league and Champions League appearance came in September and October, respectively.
He is upset that the club are trying to get rid of him, but his teammates believe he is no longer able to compete as expected.
Injuries and two operations made him unavailable for selection for 500 days.
It has contributed to his woes, and turning his fortune around at the Santiago Bernabeu seems impossible.
He joined the club slightly overweight but returned from the last summer break in excellent physical condition.
He helped Chelsea win two Premier League titles and picked up every individual award (23) available in the Premier League.
Hazard has won it all in Madrid, but he contributed very little in the 73 appearances he has made.
- Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti questions overturned Marco Asensio goal following El Clasico loss
- PSG to stick with Christophe Galtier until the end of the season despite loss to Rennes
- Barcelona 2-1 Real Madrid: Player ratings as Catalans open 12-point gap at the top of La Liga following El Clasico win
- Axel Disasi called up to replace William Saliba in France squad
- Tottenham hold talks with Antonio Conte after Italian’s explosive rant