Newcastle United attacker Ryan Fraser is training with the club’s under-21s and is unlikely to return to the senior team, reports the Daily Mail.
The 28-year-old is expected to leave the club at the end of the season after falling out of favour with Magpies manager Eddie Howe.
The Scottish winger last made an appearance for Newcastle in October 2022. The club have decided to relocate him to the academy base to maintain his fitness.
The former Bournemouth star joined Newcastle as a free agent in 2020.
He claimed two assists in 18 Premier League appearances in his debut season at St James’ Park.
Fraser registered two goals and three assists in 27 league games last term.
However, his reunion with Howe has not gone according to plan. He has played just eight games for Newcastle this term, with no involvement in goals.
Fraser’s cameo in the 1-0 win against Everton four months ago could be his last appearance for the Tyneside club.
The winger has not featured in a Premier League matchday squad since Boxing Day.
Fraser was linked with a transfer away from Newcastle last month but nothing happened.
He has been fit to play as Howe dismissed any injury claims last month.
The former Scotland international has only dropped down the pecking order, with squad players Jacob Murphy and Elliot Anderson ahead of him.
Newcastle will face Manchester United in the final of the Carabao Cup on Sunday and are pushing for a top-four finish.
Fraser is no longer in their plans, and both parties are set to move on in the summer.
- Chelsea interested in signing Barcelona full-back Alejandro Balde
- Everton’s new stadium three months behind schedule, £760m costs to increase
- FPL Double Gameweek 29: Five low-priced players to watch including Man United and Chelsea stars
- Manchester City striker Erling Haaland in race to be fit for Liverpool game
- Napoli striker Victor Osimhen to miss AC Milan clash with injury