Lionel Messi’s future takes another twist with his father and agent, Jorge, understood to have ruled out a potential Barcelona return for his client.
Messi’s contract with Paris Saint-Germain runs out next summer, although the Parisians have the option to extend the 35-year-old’s stay for one more season.
However, PSG are keen for the World Cup winner to sign a new deal at the Parc des Princes amidst interest from several clubs.
Barcelona have been touted as a strong candidate to tempt the Argentine superstar into a shocking return to the Spotify Camp Nou.
Speculation claiming Messi has turned down the chance to extend his stay with the Ligue 1 champions sparked talks of a potential return to Barca.
However, Messi’s father and agent says there is no offer on the table from the Catalan giants after arriving in Barcelona following a supposed meeting with PSG on Messi’s new contract.
“I don’t think Messi will come back [to Barca],” Messi’s father told reporters (via Mundo Deportivo). “The conditions are not met. We have not spoken with Laporta, and there is no offer.”
The Argentina international’s future continues to be the subject of conflicting reports, with his contract expiring at the end of the season.
Major League Soccer club Inter Miami have also been touted as a possible destination for Messi next season, with co-owner David Beckham keen to add the former Barca man to their ranks.
However, PSG are keen to put rumours about Messi’s future to bed, and the club will schedule more meetings with the player’s representatives in the coming weeks to iron out new terms.
Messi has been phenomenal for club and country this season, netting 15 goals and 14 assists in all competitions before leading Argentina to World Cup glory in Qatar with seven goals and three assists.
However, the playmaker has struggled with injuries since his return to club football, netting just three goals in seven appearances.
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer
- League Cup preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Rasmus Hojlund to miss the Manchester derby in boost to City’s title chances
- Europa Conference League round of 16 draw: Ajax to face Aston Villa, Lille clash with Sturm Graz
- Europa League round of 16 draw: Liverpool land favourable tie, Brighton face Roma
- Preview: Arsenal vs Newcastle – stats, team news, line-ups
- Armando Broja’s Chelsea future in doubt as Fulham loan goes pear-shaped