Morocco national team head coach Walid Regragui met with AC Milan star Brahim Diaz today, according to beIN SPORTS.
He is trying to get the former Manchester City attacking midfielder to switch allegiance from Spain to Morocco. The 23-year-old can play for the North African nation through his parents.
At the height of the COVID-19 pandemic in June 2021, several Spain internationals could not play because of the virus. Many under-21 players received call-ups to the senior team.
Diaz was one of the players that played for the national team in that period. He netted a goal on his debut.
However, he has failed to make another appearance for Spain since then despite performing superbly for the Serie A champions. He played 31 games in their Scudetto win last season, scoring three and assisting three.
The Real Madrid midfielder is currently in the third year of his loan deal in Italy. He has bagged four goals and three assists in the league this term.
Diaz has only scored one goal in the Champions League this season – a seventh-minute effort as Milan beat Tottenham Hotspur in their round of 16 clash yesterday.
He would add flair, creativity, drive and underrated work rate to a Morocco side that took the world by storm at the 2022 World Cup.
They became the first African nation to reach the semi-finals of the tournament. They are favourites for the 2023 African Cup of Nations set for next year.
Despite Morocco’s push, no one knows whether Diaz will make the switch. He could stick with Spain, who have just appointed Luis de la Fuente as head coach.
The former Spain under-21 boss coached Diaz and used him regularly.
- Pep Guardiola denies City’s reliance on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?