Monday is here again which means it’s time for ‘Morning Mix’ – our weekly football column with a bit of music thrown in for good measure.
We look at two talking points from the past seven days and point you in the direction of some of the best football stories elsewhere on the internet.
We also offer a top tune recommendation to get you in the mood for the week ahead and what to watch out for over the coming days. Let’s get started!
Howe heading into a crucial period
Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe has received plenty of plaudits for guiding the north-east outfit into the top four this season.
They have gone a club-record 17 Premier League matches unbeaten, but too many drawn games could scupper their hopes of qualifying for the Champions League.
They were lucky to pick up a point at Bournemouth on Saturday and have some tricky fixtures on the horizon, including a trip to title-chasing Manchester City.
With the Carabao Cup final against Manchester United also on the agenda, we’ll see what Howe and his team are truly made of over the next few weeks.
Silly Billy’s not so sharp
Sheffield United were pushed all the way by Wrexham in the fourth round of the FA Cup before eventually edging through courtesy of two late goals in their second meeting.
The game was a brilliant advertisement for the magic of the FA Cup – something everyone could feel positive about unless your name is Billy Sharp.
The veteran striker proved he is little more than a 37-year-old man-baby with his pathetic antics after the game and during interviews with the media.
Sharp undoubtedly took the gloss off two cracking cup ties. A big red nose, squirty flower and floppy shoes were all he needed to top things off. Clown.
The week that was
Are you looking for the best football stories from the past week? Check these out:
- Rashford has become the master of big moments in the Premier League.
- Man City & Juventus cases might restore faith in soccer’s ruling bodies.
- Nathan Jones must not take all the blame for Southampton calamity.
Today’s top tune
Are you in need of a cool vibe to kick off the week? Look no further than CVC. The Welsh band are hitting the road in April – they’re well worth checking out!
What to watch this week
Arsenal versus Manchester City on Wednesday. That’s it – that’s the game.
A final Morning Mix thought
We highlighted in last week’s Morning Mix column how precarious Nathan Jones’ position was at Southampton last week, and he has now been sacked.
Former Leeds United manager Jesse Marsch is reportedly in the frame to replace him. Which bright spark came up with that idea?
- Analysis: Liverpool did all they could to win the League Cup – and ultimately triumphed
- Everton ten-point deduction reduced to six
- Jurgen Klopp could win the quadruple this season and still not be Liverpool’s best-ever manager
- Chelsea & Man City target set to join Real Madrid in 2024 or 2025
- Cristiano Ronaldo makes obscene gesture at rival supporters chanting ‘Messi’
- Van Dijk leads Liverpool kids to League Cup glory
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer