Injuries continue to pile up for Paris Saint-Germain as Lionel Messi is the latest player to join Kylian Mbappe in the treatment room.
L’Equipe reports that the Argentine World Cup winner sustained a hamstring injury in the French Cup round of 16 game against arch-rivals Marseille, which PSG lost 2-1.
As a result, Messi is doubtful for next week’s Champions League round of 16 game against Bayern Munich, adding to Les Parisiens’ woes.
It is the last thing PSG would have wanted, with Mbappe already sidelined after picking up a thigh injury during the game against Montpellier.
However, recent reports claim that the French giants are pushing to have the 24-year-old back for the first leg against Bayern.
PSG are less optimistic about Messi’s presence against the Bavarians at the Parc des Princes.
The injury setbacks could take their toll on PSG as the two star forwards are arguably the best in Europe this season.
Messi and Mbappe have been involved in 60 goals for PSG in all competitions. They squared off in the 2022 World Cup final, with the Argentine having the last laugh.
Mbappe was awarded the Golden Boot prize for scoring a tournament-high eight goals, while Messi won the best player award.
The duo’s potential absence could leave Christophe Galtier short-handed in attack, with Neymar the only marquee forward available.
PSG will face AS Monaco n Ligue 1 tomorrow, and Mbappe and Messi have been ruled out.
The reigning Ligue 1 champions host Bayern next Tuesday.
- Chelsea interested in signing Barcelona full-back Alejandro Balde
- Everton’s new stadium three months behind schedule, £760m costs to increase
- FPL Double Gameweek 29: Five low-priced players to watch including Man United and Chelsea stars
- Manchester City striker Erling Haaland in race to be fit for Liverpool game
- Napoli striker Victor Osimhen to miss AC Milan clash with injury