Leeds United have sacked manager Jesse Marsch with the club languishing in 17th position in the Premier League table and without a win since early November.
Leeds suffered a 1-0 loss to Nottingham Forest, allowing Steve Cooper’s side to pull further clear from the relegation zone while the Whites dangle above on goal difference.
After taking 11 from the last 51 points available, the club’s bosses have axed Marsch. Sporting director Victor Orta is a crucial figure behind the decision.
A statement from Leeds read: “Leeds United can confirm head coach Jesse Marsch has been relieved of his duties.
“Jesse joined the club in February 2022 and was instrumental in keeping the club in the Premier League on the final day of last season.
“Rene Maric, Cameron Toshack and Pierre Barrieu will also leave the club.
“We would like to thank Jesse and his backroom staff for their efforts and wish them well for the future.
“The process of appointing a new head coach is underway, and we will continue to keep supporters up to date throughout the coming days.”
Marsch’s position at the club has been under scrutiny for some time despite the American helping them survive relegation last season.
The early rumours tip Bielsa to return for a second spell at Elland Road, although that looks more like wishful thinking from fans enamoured with the Argentine manager.
West Bromwich Albion manager Carlos Corberan, who worked with Bielsa at Leeds, is another name linked with the job.
The Spaniard only joined the Baggies in October 2022 after a spell with Huddersfield Town.
Leeds face Manchester United in back-to-back Premier League games on Wednesday and Sunday. They would love to have a new manager in place to lead them for those matches.
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer
- League Cup preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Rasmus Hojlund to miss the Manchester derby in boost to City’s title chances
- Europa Conference League round of 16 draw: Ajax to face Aston Villa, Lille clash with Sturm Graz
- Europa League round of 16 draw: Liverpool land favourable tie, Brighton face Roma
- Preview: Arsenal vs Newcastle – stats, team news, line-ups
- Armando Broja’s Chelsea future in doubt as Fulham loan goes pear-shaped