The Blues have signed an incredible 16 new players since Todd Boehly took over the club last year.
They have spent over £500 million in the last two transfer windows, bringing in the likes of Mykhailo Mudryk and Enzo Fernandez.
Their transfer policy has been widely criticised, with Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola also slamming their lavish spending.
They are now in danger of breaching Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules following their extravagant spending.
According to the Daily Mail, Chelsea will request exemptions from the spending rules when they submit their accounts at the end of the season.
The west London outfit claim they didn’t receive income for three months last year due to the sanctions imposed on their previous owner Roman Abramovich.
The club chiefs argue that they shouldn’t have to pay the price for the sanctioning of the Russian oligarch.
Under the regulations, clubs in the top flight are permitted to lose £105m over any three-year period.
Chelsea recorded losses in excess of £150m in their most recent accounts in 2021. But the Blues and other Premier League clubs were given allowances due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Abramovich took over the English club in 2003 and completely changed their fortunes within a few years. They won an incredible 21 trophies in the 19 years the Russian was at the helm.
However, he was forced to sell Chelsea after sanctions were imposed on him by the United Kingdom government for his alleged links to Russian president Vladimir Putin.
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer
- League Cup preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Rasmus Hojlund to miss the Manchester derby in boost to City’s title chances
- Europa Conference League round of 16 draw: Ajax to face Aston Villa, Lille clash with Sturm Graz
- Europa League round of 16 draw: Liverpool land favourable tie, Brighton face Roma
- Preview: Arsenal vs Newcastle – stats, team news, line-ups
- Armando Broja’s Chelsea future in doubt as Fulham loan goes pear-shaped