Paris Saint-Germain will look to snap up Real Madrid attacker Marco Asensio in the summer.
However, Madrid insisted Asensio was not for sale despite having less than six months left on his contract.
PSG are pleased to wait until the 27-year-old becomes a free agent. However, they will face stiff competition for his services by then.
More clubs will join them in the race for his signature once he becomes a free agent.
PSG were trying to avoid that and also attempted to convince Madrid on transfer deadline day.
The Spanish giants could still be open to extending his contract. There is enough time for talks over a new deal to take place between now and June.
Asensio has played 24 games across all competitions this term but has started just six times.
He has scored three goals and claimed four assists, and manager Carlo Ancelotti can count on him for the rest of the campaign.
Madrid are challenging across three competitions and will need to maximise their squad depth.
Asensio will struggle to force his way into the side’s starting XI, but he is quality cover.
Madrid were not keen on doing business with PSG even though they risk losing him for nothing in the summer.
Whether Asensio will opt to remain a squad player at the Santiago Bernabeu or leave remains to be seen.
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch