Manchester United had a relatively quiet January transfer window compared to their Premier League rivals but they still managed to make three signings.
A back-up goalkeeper was not a priority before the turn of the year but United were forced into pursuing one after Newcastle United made the decision to recall Martin Dubravka from his season-long loan.
Jack Butland was signed on a temporary basis from Crystal Palace. The England international has yet to make his United debut but will be hoping to feature against Nottingham Forest this evening.
Weghorst was influential in Bruno Fernandes’ goal at Crystal Palace where he did a splendid job of distracting defenders with his movement. He also bagged his maiden goal against Forest last week.
The 30-year-old should have a big part to play in the coming months as manager Erik ten Hag is likely to rotate his centre-forward options. He may handle Anthony Martial with caution after his latest injury.
United ended the transfer window with the loan acquisition of Marcel Sabitzer from Bayern Munich. The move was probably forced onto them after the confirmation of Christian Eriksen’s long-term setback.
Sabitzer has not played much in his 18 months at Bayern but we know very well from his Leipzig days that he was a brilliant contributor of goals and assists. He played in different positions for the German side.
The Austrian will most certainly line up for United in the number eight role after Eriksen’s injury but he can also play anywhere in attack and could be used as a false number nine when required.
United have got themselves a fantastic player in the prime of his career. If Sabitzer makes a big impression, there is a high possibility that the club will seek a permanent transfer for him.
It was far from a dream transfer window for United. However, they did manage to fill the void after Eriksen’s injury. The club should be on course for a top-four league finish while winning a trophy or two.
- Conor Gallagher determined to stay at Chelsea despite contract stand-off and Tottenham interest
- Eric Dier makes permanent switch to Bayern Munich from Tottenham
- Premier League manager of the month nominees for February revealed
- Paul Pogba receives four-year ban for doping
- Man United fans in uproar as Old Trafford relocation plans spark outrage
- Liverpool to make one last attempt to bring back Michael Edwards to lead post-Klopp rebuild
- Arsenal shortlist four strikers to replace injury-prone Gabriel Jesus
- Premier League reveal April fixture schedule for TV coverage
- Simone Inzaghi wanted by Liverpool, Man United & Chelsea – but who’s the best fit?
- Bowen hat-trick hands West Ham first win of 2024, eases pressure on Moyes