Tottenham Hotspur right-back Matt Doherty is set to complete a loan move to Atletico Madrid, according to Sky Sports.
The north London club are set to sign Sporting Lisbon right-back Pedro Porro today.
The arrival of the Spaniard will see Doherty move further down the pecking order.
The 31-year-old will join the La Liga club until the end of the season with no option or obligation to buy.
He has played 16 games across all competitions this term, scoring a goal.
The Republic of Ireland international has struggled to force his way into Spurs’ starting XI since joining from Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Doherty started 13 league games in his debut campaign with Tottenham in 2020-21.
He started nine league games last season and seven this term.
The former Wolves star has been unable to convince Conte.
Doherty was a solid player while with the Midlands club, establishing himself as a regular.
He scored eight goals and claimed eight assists in Wolves’ first two seasons back in the Premier League.
Atletico are willing to take the punt on him, and he will be keen to impress.
Spurs have an obligation to buy Porro in the initial loan deal that has been agreed upon. The 23-year-old has bagged nine league goals and 13 assists from the start of 2020-21.
On paper, he is an upgrade on Doherty, but he needs to hit the ground running in England.
Conte could do with his attacking input having struggled to get his wing-backs firing on all cylinders.
Tottenham want to finish in the top four this term, and the addition of a quality full-back will boost their chances.
- Simone Inzaghi could leave Inter Milan in the summer, Thiago Motta a potential replacement
- Harry Redknapp avails himself for a return to Spurs as an aide to Ryan Mason
- Barcelona to take further legal action as they risk losing Gavi for free in the summer
- Bayern set condition to sign Joao Cancelo permanently
- Arsenal set to face MLS All-star team coached by Wayne Rooney in US summer tour