Real Madrid have thwarted Paris Saint-Germain’s bid to sign Marco Asensio, according to a report from Diario AS.
PSG submitted an offer to the Spanish forward last weekend in a bid to sign him before the January transfer window slams shut today.
The French giants have also been simultaneously working on a deal for Chelsea forward Hakim Ziyech, with Christophe Galtier aiming to bolster his attack following the departure of Pablo Sarabia to Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Los Blancos have rejected PSG’s offer as they don’t want to lose Asensio midway through the season.
The 26-year-old’s exit rumours have been circulating for a while owing to his lack of game time at Santiago Bernabeu, and the fact his current deal expires next summer.
He is not the first choice for manager Carlo Ancelotti, having started only three games in La Liga out of a possible 13 this season.
Nonetheless, Los Blancos intend to keep Asensio for the foreseeable future as they have planned for renewal talks with him.
The defending La Liga and European champions would lose him for nothing next summer if he opts against an extension.
Asensio will be hoping for more playing time for the remainder of the season as Los Merengues have Barcelona to catch in the La Liga title race and await Liverpool in the Champions League round of 16 next month.
PSG appear to be inching closer towards signing Ziyech, with manager Galtier confirming the talks with the Moroccan international.
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?