Off the back of a stellar World Cup campaign, Fernandez has established himself as one of the most promising midfielders in football at the tender age of 21.
This has seen Chelsea become hot on his trails over the last couple of weeks with the Premier League outfit keen to continue their winter spending spree.
Chelsea had earlier shown signs of meeting Benfica’s asking price of €120 million, albeit in instalments, before the Blues tabled a significantly reduced €85m offer much to the dismay of the Benfica head coach Roger Schmidt.
“We don’t want to sell Enzo, neither I nor the president,” Schmidt was quoted saying (via Express).
“We all know that he has a clause in his contract – if he wants to leave and if someone pays this clause, we can do nothing.
“There is a club who want our player, they know we don’t want to sell, they try to get the player on their side when they know they can only get this player when they pay the clause.
“To make the player crazy, to pretend they can pay the clause and later they want to negotiate.”
To further consolidate their control over Fernandez’s future, Benfica are now planning to raise his buy-out clause by a further €30m, while also rewarding him with a €2m compensation package.
If they manage to keep hold of Fernandez beyond the end current window which closes on Tuesday, As Aguias will be expecting increased summer interest in their most-prized asset.
Chelsea are expected to keep up their pursuit of the Argentinian, while Real Madrid and Liverpool could also join the mix given their need for reinforcements in the centre of the park.
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer
- League Cup preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Rasmus Hojlund to miss the Manchester derby in boost to City’s title chances
- Europa Conference League round of 16 draw: Ajax to face Aston Villa, Lille clash with Sturm Graz
- Europa League round of 16 draw: Liverpool land favourable tie, Brighton face Roma
- Preview: Arsenal vs Newcastle – stats, team news, line-ups
- Armando Broja’s Chelsea future in doubt as Fulham loan goes pear-shaped