The 20-year-old Sweden international is way down manager Erik ten Hag’s pecking order at Old Trafford, with just five Premier League starts under his belt this season.
Alejandro Garnacho, 18, appears to have moved ahead of Elanga in the selection process in recent games, and he could be allowed to leave in the coming weeks.
Everton have also been linked with the Swede, while Bournemouth are among the Premier League clubs who have enquired about Elanga’s availability.
The Man Utd academy graduate played 21 league games last term, starting 14, but he may be forced to leave if the club signs another winger before the end of the January transfer window.
Jadon Sancho is also expected to return to the squad soon after some fitness struggles, and that will likely further limit Elanga’s opportunities this term.
Dortmund have shown in recent seasons that they do not shy away from handing youngsters regular chances, and a move to the Signal Iduna Park could entice Elanga.
Remaining in the Premier League could also be an option, and a loan exit to one of his suitors could be beneficial to both the club and player.
The 2019-20 Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year still has plenty of years ahead of him, but he knows he cannot afford to keep sitting on the Old Trafford bench for the rest of the campaign.
- Analysis: Liverpool did all they could to win the League Cup – and ultimately triumphed
- Everton ten-point deduction reduced to six
- Jurgen Klopp could win the quadruple this season and still not be Liverpool’s best-ever manager
- Chelsea & Man City target set to join Real Madrid in 2024 or 2025
- Cristiano Ronaldo makes obscene gesture at rival supporters chanting ‘Messi’
- Van Dijk leads Liverpool kids to League Cup glory
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer