The 29-year-old left the Nerazzurri for Chelsea in 2021, but things did not go to plan and he was keen to leave after a single season.
Inter agreed a loan deal with the Blues to bring him back to the San Siro, but his return has been plagued by injury.
The former Chelsea man has endured a tumultuous last few months. His muscle and hamstring issues forced him to miss 11 Serie A matches in the first half of the campaign.
He also missed the first parts of the just concluded World Cup tournament after tests showed that he has a scar on the hamstring of his left thigh caused by stepping up the intensity of his training.
Upon his return to fitness in Qatar, his spurned chances proved costly as Belgium missed out on a place in the knockout stage.
Lukaku’s last league start came in August, but after improving physically and psychologically, he is now ready to take to the pitch again.
He is keen to play a leading role in Inter’s tough league clash with high-flying Napoli in January. Meanwhile, the club are plotting a move to extend his loan stay.
Nerazzurri general manager Beppe Marotta and sporting director Piero Ausilio are working on setting up a new loan deal for the Belgian with Chelsea, hoping to agree a better deal than the €12 million total agreed last summer.
Lukaku has no interest in returning to Chelsea, where his relationship with the fans took a nosedive. He wants to remain at Inter and help the club push for glory.
However, another opportunity to redeem himself in the Premier League may yet present itself as Newcastle United are plotting an audacious move for the striker next summer.
But any potential deal for Lukaku depends on whether the Magpies secure a top-four finish this term.
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch