Paris Saint-Germain head coach Christophe Galtier said he expects a quiet January transfer window from his club in a press conference today (via Loic Tanzi).
PSG had a busy summer transfer window. They signed Nuno Mendes, Hugo Ekitike, Renato Sanchez, Fabian Ruiz, Carlos Soler, Vitinha and Nordi Mukiele.
Galtier said he is not expecting any incomings except to replace any outgoing players. But no player has demanded to move. He also said that the club are no longer pushing to sign a defender.
“There won’t be any arrivals unless there are departures,” the 56-year-old explained.
“There aren’t any players asking for a move. [A move for} a defender is not news currently.”
The Ligue 1 leaders are not actively looking for reinforcements in January. They were considering a move for a centre-back, but Galtier’s words allude to satisfaction with his squad.
PSG sporting advisor Luis Campos wanted to sign another defender for Galtier last summer, but it did not happen. PSG pushed for Inter Milan’s Milan Skriniar.
However, they struggled to strike a deal with the Nerazzurri. The Serie A club demanded €80 million for the Slovakian international, but PSG only offered €55m.
Despite PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi trying to force the deal through in the final days, it did not materialise.
The Ligue 1 table-toppers thought they could return for Skriniar this January. They planned a lowball €30m bid to sign the 27-year-old as he has six months left on his deal.
Those plans are now out of the window, with Skriniar closer to signing a contract with Inter.
With Presnel Kimpembe still out, the club might change its mind and move for a defender, but there are no plans for that now.
AS Monaco’s Axel Disasi was the Parisian’s alternative to Skriniar, and they might consider him again.
PSG won their first game following the restart of Ligue 1 after the World Cup break. Despite Neymar’s red card, they overcame Julien Stephan’s Strasbourg through Kylian Mbappe’s late goal.
- Pep Guardiola denies City’s reliance on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?