Alexander Nubel has ruled out a potential return to Bayern Munich after stating the rumours of him cutting short his loan at Monaco make little sense.
Nubel has been identified as an ideal replacement for the injured Manuel Neuer, who will miss the rest of the season after picking up an injury in a skiing accident.
The Bavarians hold the option to recall the 26-year-old from the Ligue 1 giants before his loan expires next summer.
However, reports suggest that Nubel is against returning to his parent club, as he believes he would be only a stop-gap solution until Neuer’s recovery, which would also curb his progress.
“It doesn’t make much sense for me to come back,” Nubel told Tobi Altschaffl. “I don’t know how serious Manuel’s injury is. But I think he will be fit again by the summer, at the latest in preparation for the next season. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for him.”
Bayern will have to turn their attention to alternatives, with Yann Sommer reportedly another name on the wishlist.
The Borussia Monchengladbach keeper is entering the final six months of his contract. The German outfit could cash in on him in January or allow him to leave as a free agent next summer if he opts against an extension.
He made an astonishing 14 saves earlier this season in the 1-1 draw against Bayern, which is a record in Bundesliga history for a single game.
The Bavarians are prioritising a move for a new goalie in the January transfer window as they have no intention of relying on back-up option Sven Ulreich for the remainder of the season.
- Chelsea & Man City target set to join Real Madrid in 2024 or 2025
- Cristiano Ronaldo makes obscene gesture at rival supporters chanting ‘Messi’
- Van Dijk leads Liverpool kids to League Cup glory
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer
- League Cup preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Rasmus Hojlund to miss the Manchester derby in boost to City’s title chances
- Europa Conference League round of 16 draw: Ajax to face Aston Villa, Lille clash with Sturm Graz