The 21-year-old was one of the breakout stars during the World Cup tournament in Qatar and helped his nation to secure football’s holy grail for only the third time.
Fernandez had already established himself as one of football’s prized jewels with his stellar performances for Benfica.
However, his World Cup displays have seen his reputation and valuation skyrocket, with several clubs interested and Benfica unwilling to sell until his €120 million release clause is triggered.
The former River Plate man claimed the Best Young Player Award at the end of the tournament and is one of the hottest properties in world football.
Liverpool were touted as the front-runners to sign the youngster, and there were reports that the Reds already have a pre-agreement with Benfica to sign Fernandez.
However, Chelsea have now swooped in with the report claiming that they have tabled an offer that effectively triggers Fernandez’s release clause.
Less than a week ago, news broke out that an unnamed club had seen a bid of around €100m rejected for the Argentine sensation.
If Chelsea are successful in their bid to snatch the youngster from under the noses of their rivals, it could prove a shrewd acquisition for the Blues.
Benfica are determined to keep Fernandez until the end of the season, but a January move cannot be ruled out, especially if his release clause is triggered.
Chelsea want to reinforce their midfield with Jorginho and N’Golo Kante out of contract next summer.
It is unclear whether they will pen new terms with the club, but Chelsea are being proactive in the market in case they decide to leave on a free transfer.
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch