Wesley Fofana suffered an injury in a friendly 5-1 win over Bournemouth today, according to Simon Phillips.
The centre-back came off early in the game after suffering another injury. It is unclear whether it is a relapse, but Fofana looked dejected.
Chelsea have not determined the severity of Fofana’s injury, but it does not look good.
The 22-year-old has been in Dubai trying to recover from the knee injury he suffered in the Champions League against AC Milan on October 5.
He scored his first goal for Chelsea in that game since his summer move from Leicester City. However, Fofana came off with a problem in his right knee and has been out of action since.
Fofana was looking forward to returning to action after being unavailable for the World Cup. The former Saint Etienne defender has missed a chunk of Chelsea’s campaign following his £70 million transfer.
Mason Mount, Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Thiago Silva also missed the game, but that did not stop the Blues from running riot against Bournemouth.
Kai Havertz scored a hat-trick after returning from his break. The 23-year-old attacker will get more game time following the long-term injury to Armando Broja.
Broja had taken the starting berth following Havertz’s inconsistencies and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s form. But he is out for the season, leaving the pair to fight for the position.
Chelsea will resume their Premier League campaign against Bournemouth on December 27 at Stamford Bridge. They will be looking for three points to improve their league position.
Bournemouth have conceded the most goals in the Premier League this season. But despite their porousness, they can cause Chelsea defensive headaches with their attack.
Chelsea have not beaten Bournemouth in their last three league meetings and will be eager to rectify the matter to boost their hopes of a top-four finish.
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer
- League Cup preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Rasmus Hojlund to miss the Manchester derby in boost to City’s title chances
- Europa Conference League round of 16 draw: Ajax to face Aston Villa, Lille clash with Sturm Graz
- Europa League round of 16 draw: Liverpool land favourable tie, Brighton face Roma
- Preview: Arsenal vs Newcastle – stats, team news, line-ups
- Armando Broja’s Chelsea future in doubt as Fulham loan goes pear-shaped