Serie A champions AC Milan are considering a move for Atalanta’s Marco Sportiello, with Mike Maignan recovering slowly from an injury.
Sportiello’s contract expires in June 2023, and he has agreed to join Milan. But the seven-time Champions League winners want to speak to his club to allow him to move in January.
According to Sky Italia, the Milan club are being cautious with Maignan. He has not suffered a relapse, but his recovery is not going as quickly as expected.
Milan do not want to speed things on with the French international. They want to allow him to recover at his pace, which is crucial. They want to bring in Sportiello in January if Maignan does not recover soon.
The next ten days will be decisive for Milan heading into the January transfer window.
Maignan has been one of the best goalkeepers in the world for the past two seasons. The former Lille man first helped his Ligue 1 team to the 2020/2021 league title. He recorded 21 clean sheets in that campaign.
He joined Milan for only €15 million to replace Gianluigi Donnarumma, who moved to Paris Saint-Germain for free.
Maignan helped Milan win the Scudetto in his first season, keeping 17 clean sheets in 32 games.
The World Cup is over, and Maignan has not returned. Serie A resumes on January 4, and if the Rossoneri don’t see any improvement, they will start pushing for Sportiello.
Sportiello plays back-up to Juan Musso for Gian Piero Gasperini’s Atalanta. Milan directors Ricky Massara, Paolo Maldini and head coach Stefano Pioli see the 30-year-old Sportiello as cover for Maignan.
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch