Aston Villa’s Emiliano Martinez enjoyed the best game of his life as he played a crucial role to help Argentina win the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
The 30-year-old made a wonderful save to deny Randal Kolo Muani in extra time and was also the hero in the shoot-out.
The former Arsenal goalkeeper found it hard to control his emotions after the victory that saw La Albiceleste secure their third World Cup title in history.
Martinez didn’t have much to do in the first half as Argentina scored two goals and looked in complete control.
The 2021 Copa America winners looked on the verge of a comfortable victory as they were 2-0 ahead with only 10 minutes remaining.
However, Kylian Mbappe turned the game on its head by scoring from the spot before smashing another goal 97 seconds later.
Martinez perhaps should have done better for the 23-year-old’s second goal.
Lionel Messi looked to have scored the winner in extra time, but Mbappe’s third goal took the game to penalties.
There was enormous pressure on Martinez, but he brilliantly kept his composure between the sticks.
To the delight of Argentina fans and Aston Villa supporters, he denied Kingsley Coman while Aurelien Tchouameni also failed to convert.
Martinez played a hugely important role in Argentina’s World Cup success. He started all seven matches in Qatar, helping his team keep three clean sheets.
The Argentine was also a key player in the shoot-out victory over Netherlands as he made two superb saves to deny Virgil van Dijk and Steven Berghuis.
- How Brighton could line-up in Athens with Lamptey and Fati injured
- Galatasaray 3-3 Man United: Battle of Istanbul ends in stalemate
- Ten Hag drops Varane again – is a Man United exit imminent?
- Al-Ittihad target former Liverpool director Julian Ward to bolster Salah bid
- Liverpool pair Alisson & Diogo Jota to miss at least five games through injury
- Chelsea to pull Andrey Santos from awful Forest loan – what’s next for the young Brazilian?
- Tottenham to recall exiled star amid injury crisis
- Serie A Weekly: Derby d’Italia fails to live up the billing, Milan & Roma return to winning ways
- PSG 1-1 Newcastle: Late Mbappe penalty puts Magpies last-16 hopes in jeopardy
- Tottenham star Rodrigo Bentancur out for two months after latest injury setback