However, the Reds lost the subsequent penalty shoot-out, which is the tradition of the Dubai Super Cup.
It took only five minutes for Liverpool to land the first blow on their Italian rivals. Mohamed Salah easily slotted the ball home after some impressive passing moves from the Premier League outfit.
The Merseyside club started dominating the game, but a misjudgement from Andy Robertson allowed Alexis Saelemakers to restore parity.
Liverpool responded aggressively, keeping the tempo incredibly high. And their pressure soon paid dividends as Thiago Alcantara fired the ball home from the edge of the box in the 41st minute.
Milan searched for an equaliser in the second half, but the Reds didn’t offer them many opportunities.
And when Darwin Nunez smashed another goal in the 82nd minute, the hopes of a comeback were over for the Serie A outfit.
Nunez added another to put some gloss on the scoreline as Liverpool sealed an impressive win before next week’s Carabao Cup clash with Manchester City.
However, the English side lost the shoot-out with Kostas Tsimikas and Naby Keita missing their spot-kicks.
The Merseyside giants will resume their Premier League campaign on December 26 when they take a trip to Aston Villa.
- Postecoglou confirms huge injury blow for Tottenham ahead of Crystal Palace clash
- FA Cup quarter-final TV picks confirmed, ITV will show headline fixture between Man Utd and Liverpool
- Preview: Man City vs Man United – stats, team news, line-ups
- Crystal Palace shareholder John Textor slams Premier League financial rules
- Conor Gallagher determined to stay at Chelsea despite contract stand-off and Tottenham interest
- Eric Dier makes permanent switch to Bayern Munich from Tottenham
- Premier League manager of the month nominees for February revealed
- Paul Pogba receives four-year ban for doping
- Man United fans in uproar as Old Trafford relocation plans spark outrage
- Liverpool to make one last attempt to bring back Michael Edwards to lead post-Klopp rebuild