Bayer Leverkusen sporting director Simon Rolfes has confirmed that Callum Hudson-Odoi will remain with the German club on loan for the rest of the season.
It was reported earlier that Chelsea were considering recalling Hudson-Odoi in January, with Graham Potter a big fan of the English winger.
Hudson-Odoi struggled for game time under former manager Thomas Tuchel, which led to his departure in the summer.
However, Blues owner Todd Boehly made sure that the move to Leverkusen was only temporary, informing Hudson-Odoi he has a long-term future at Stamford Bridge.
Rolfes said (via BILD): “We had assumed that Callum would stay, but now we also have the certainty that he will stay with us. That makes us happy because he is a very important player for us.”
Hudson-Odoi has experienced a tough start to life at Bay Arena, finding the net only once in 15 appearances.
However, Die Werkself manager Xabi Alonso recently stated that he has plenty of trust in the 22-year-old, who will look to change his fortunes in the second half of the season.
Hudson-Odoi’s loan deal expires at the end of the season, and massive competition awaits when he returns to Chelsea.
They have also identified AC Milan’s Rafael Leao and Borussia Dortmund sensation Youssoufa Moukoko as potential targets.
The west Londoners are currently scouring the market for a replacement for Armando Broja, who is out for the season with an ACL injury.
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer
- League Cup preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Rasmus Hojlund to miss the Manchester derby in boost to City’s title chances
- Europa Conference League round of 16 draw: Ajax to face Aston Villa, Lille clash with Sturm Graz
- Europa League round of 16 draw: Liverpool land favourable tie, Brighton face Roma
- Preview: Arsenal vs Newcastle – stats, team news, line-ups
- Armando Broja’s Chelsea future in doubt as Fulham loan goes pear-shaped