Alexander Nubel appears to be closing in on a return to Bayern Munich from his loan at AS Monaco, as his agent Stefan Backs has confirmed talks with the Bavarians.
Bayern have been dealt a massive blow with Manuel Neuer’s latest injury, which will keep him out for the remainder of the season.
The Bavarians have stepped up their search for a replacement for Neuer, identifying Nubel as a top target.
Croatia’s World Cup hero Dominik Livakovic and Paris Saint-Germain’s Keylor Navas were also considered, but the Bavarians are prioritising Nubel’s return from Monaco.
The German goalkeeper moved to Allianz Arena in 2020 and was loaned to Monaco the following year due to the lack of game time.
Nubel has made a significant impact with the French giants, helping them finish third in Ligue 1 last season.
The 26-year-old has kept five clean sheets in 15 league appearances this season, which is the fourth-highest in the league.
Backs told Sky Sport Germany, “Yes, Bayern want to bring Alexander back and have informed me about it.
“It is now primarily up to the clubs to find an agreement. It is important for Alexander to know what his perspective is.”
Bayern’s sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic previously said they were not planning to recall Nubel despite having the option to cut short his loan spell.
However, Neuer’s injury has forced the German giants to reconsider their plans, and they want Nubel as the primary option between the sticks in the second half of the season.
Bayern, who are four points clear at the top of the table, will face RB Leipzig next month when the Bundesliga returns after an extended World Cup break.
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch