According to Foot Mercato, the Royal Football Federation of Morocco (FRMF) lodged the complaint today following yesterday’s defeat against the defending world champions.
Morocco were on a memorable run that saw them become the first African nation to reach the World Cup semi-final. They beat Spain and Portugal on their way to the final four.
They then faced Les Bleus and lost 2-0 despite a respectable performance on the grand stage. Didier Deschamps’ side had too much quality against the injury-hit Atlas Lions.
Theo Hernandez opened the scoring early on. The Europeans doubled their lead late in the game when Randal Kolo Muani tapped home Kylian Mbappe’s deflected effort.
However, the game had its controversies. In the 27th minute, Theo Hernandez left an errant leg in the box and tripped Angers playmaker Soufiane Boufal. The referee inexplicably deemed it as a foul on the AC Milan left-back.
Despite his plea, Boufal received a yellow card rather than a penalty, and VAR did nothing to help the situation.
Morocco also believe they deserved a penalty when Selim Amallah fell in the box from a free-kick.
FIFA will hear their protests, but there is not much they can do, especially with the final in a few days.
The Copa America winners, Argentina, will face reigning World Cup champions France in an epic showdown this Sunday.
The last time the two sides faced each other at the World Cup, the game ended 4-3 to France, but this is a different Argentina side.
Morocco will face Croatia for third place on Saturday. It is a chance for them to make more history after lighting up this tournament as the surprise package.
- Serie A Weekly: Derby d’Italia fails to live up the billing, Milan & Roma return to winning ways
- PSG 1-1 Newcastle: Late Mbappe penalty puts Magpies last-16 hopes in jeopardy
- Tottenham star Rodrigo Bentancur out for two months after latest injury setback
- Everton’s ten-point deduction puts Sean Dyche contract talks on hold
- The worst Premier League starts ever
- Gavi out for the rest of the season
- Celtic & Rangers top list of most expensive Champions League away days
- Jeremie Frimpong: Should Bayern or Man Utd take advantage of his €40m release clause?
- Tottenham join race for Man United target Jean-Clair Todibo
- Referee admitted penalty decision against Wolves was wrong, rages Gary O’Neil after Fulham defeat