Manchester United will open negotiations with Diogo Dalot over a new contract amid Barcelona transfer speculation, according to Mundo Deportivo.
The 23-year-old, currently on international duty with Portugal, will see his contract at Old Trafford expire in 2023.
Dalot has been a pivotal part of Fernando Santos’ side in their run to the World Cup quarter-finals and will be part of the squad when they take on Morocco for a place in the last four.
The Portuguese has also been vital for his club side, contributing a goal and two assists in 20 appearances across all competitions as well as some sturdy defensive displays for United.
United have the option to trigger an automatic one-year extension to Dalot’s contract, but they want to tie him down to a new long-term deal to fend off interest from Barca.
The Spanish giants are hot on the heels of the former AC Milan man as they look to strengthen their options at right back, especially with the defender nearing the end of his current contract.
United have prioritised Dalot’s contract renewal, and they plan to arrange meetings with the player and his representatives when the tournament in Qatar concludes.
United are also on the market for a new back-up to Dalot as Erik ten Hag does not trust Aaron Wan-Bissaka, especially after his performance in the first half of their 4-2 friendly defeat to Cadiz three days ago.
The Red Devils are looking to offload the former Crystal Palace man in the January transfer market and have offered him to AS Roma. The club reportedly prefer selling him permanently, but they are also open to a loan deal.
Barca will continue scouring the market for other right-back options while they keep an eye on Dalot’s contract situation to see if they can snap him up next summer.
- Jurgen Klopp could win the quadruple this season and still not be Liverpool’s best-ever manager
- Chelsea & Man City target set to join Real Madrid in 2024 or 2025
- Cristiano Ronaldo makes obscene gesture at rival supporters chanting ‘Messi’
- Van Dijk leads Liverpool kids to League Cup glory
- Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United: Magpies gunned down by free-firing Arteta squad
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game
- Tottenham ‘seriously’ interested in signing Sebastian Szymanski
- Man City braced for Saudi Pro League bids for Kevin De Bruyne this summer
- League Cup preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Rasmus Hojlund to miss the Manchester derby in boost to City’s title chances