French centre-back Mohamed Simakan has officially extended his contract with RB Leipzig until June 2027.
He has added a year to the five-year contract he initially signed. The former Strasbourg defender has impressed for the Bundesliga outfit since his arrival just over a year ago.
Simakan has excelled in the centre of defence and also as a full-back. He is a crucial player this season for head coach Marco Rose.
He has started 19 of the 24 games Leipzig played before the winter break. Last season, the France under-21 international played every match as they won the DFB-Pokal.
After signing his contract, the Marseille-born defender said: “It was a big step for me when I arrived at the club a year and a half ago.
“I felt happy here from day one and I was welcomed with open arms. That is really important for me as it allows me to perform on the pitch and to develop in the best possible way.
“he club and the city have quickly become my second home and I’m quite simply delighted to be here. We have already achieved a lot in 2022 and I’m looking forward to everything that is still to come.
“The trust and recognition that I receive from the management, the coaching staff, my teammates and above all, from the fans, show that we have a bright future together.”
New sporting director Max Eberl added: “Mo Simakan is a player who has already made fantastic progress at RB Leipzig and, at just 22 years of age, has great potential to become even better.
“He has made a great impression in his right-back position and he has shown both his attacking and defensive qualities. This has really underlined his flexibility.
“Mo is a key player in our team and really indentifies with RB Leipzig and all the people connected with the club. We are delighted that we have been able to extend his contract ahead of time.”
- Pep Guardiola denies City’s reliance on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?